After the R1T truck, the 2020 R1S is Rivian’s second vehicle. Also, it’s one of the first off-road-capable electric SUVs. Rivian R1S car insurance rates is expected to cost between $275 and $325 per month, or around $3,600 per year, depending on coverage. In comparison to the national average, the R1S has a cost-to-base ratio of less than 5% and a lowest base cost of $72,500. Therefore, insurance costs are low in comparison to the car’s high sticker price.
- How do I compare insurance for the R1S?
- Does the Rivian R1S qualify for discounts?
- How reliable is the Rivian R1S?
- Bottom line
How do I compare insurance for the R1S?
The insurance rates for the Rivian R1S luxury SUV should be similar to those of other high-end SUVs.
- Body type. The Rivian R1S SUV should be less expensive to insure than the Rivian R1T pickup truck. SUVs had fewer and milder collisions than pickup vehicles.
- Fuel. With the R1S, you get a fuel-saving SUV for a little extra in insurance expenses. Depending on the battery type, the distance covered should be anywhere from 240 to 410 miles.
- Theft rates. Theft of electric vehicles is lower than that of gas-powered vehicles, therefore you can expect the R1S’s insurance rates to be unaffected by theft.
- Maintenance. Although Rivian’s cars are yet unknown for typical maintenance costs, electric vehicles in general have cheaper maintenance costs than gasoline-powered ones. Reduced upkeep translates to reduced costs for repairs and insurance.
- Coverage. With a sticker price ranging from $72,500 to $90,000, you can afford greater coverage limits, accidents, and complete coverage for your new vehicle. This costly vehicle may potentially be substituted by underinsured motorists.
- Warranty. Until now, Rivian has not made the details of his warranty public. Several manufacturers provide free roadside assistance for the first few years of your warranty, so you won’t have to pay extra for towing coverage.
- Manufacturer offer. In addition, Rivian has not provided any details about a potential manufacturer’s offer, so there’s no way to know whether you’ll save money.
Does the Rivian R1S qualify for discounts?
Many discounts are available for the Rivian R1S, however the actual savings you get will be dependent on your choice of model and insurance provider
- Electric vehicle discount
- Anti Lock brake discount
- Antitheft discount
- Daytime running headlights
- Airbag discount
- Passive restraint discount
- Seatbelt pretensioners
How reliable is the Rivian R1S?
Because Rivian hasn’t released a car before the R1S and R1T, there aren’t currently any official safety or dependability ratings for the vehicle. After the R1S, official data and ratings are expected to be available in about a year.
- Safety. Rivian claimed that he was trying to get insurance from the Highway Safety Institute‘s Top Safety Pick Plus program in addition to the 5-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. As of the time of publication, there were no reviews or ratings available.
- Reliability. Rivian creates and sells the R1S, a capable SUV for both on and off-road use. Companies like J.D. Power and US News & World Report don’t receive official ratings for up to a year after the R1S debut.
- Recalls. Because Rivian has yet to release a vehicle, it’s impossible to say whether or not there will be a recall on this model.
Rivian’s R1S 2020 is the company’s first on- and off-road electric SUV, and the first from R1T vehicle manufacturers. As with other SUVs on the market, the Insurance is expected to be comparable at the same price, but much more than the majority of cars, which range from $275 to $325 per month.
Insuring a new car like the R1T may be expensive since insurance rates vary widely across providers. Before purchasing R1S insurance, be careful to shop about and compare rates from different providers.
For additional car insurance review, check out our review of Land Rover Defender Car Insurance Rates.