Introducing the 2020 Hyundai Santa Cruz, which will be the automaker’s first attempt at manufacturing a pickup truck. It’s aimed for urban dwellers who want to be active, so it’ll be built on the same base as the Tucson and start at around $18,000. Hyundai Santa Cruz car insurance rates are anticipated to be in the $170 – $190 per month range. There is a 10 to 12 percent yearly increase in insurance costs. It’s a pickup truck, therefore the percentage is almost three times higher than the national average of 4%.
- How do I compare insurance for the Hyundai Santa Cruz?
- Does Santa Cruz qualify for discounts?
- How reliable is the Hyundai Santa Cruz?
- Bottom line
How do I compare insurance for the Hyundai Santa Cruz?
In terms of the Hyundai range, Santa Cruz is a brand-new model in any market. As a result, insurance firms will be unable to determine premiums based on model-specific information. Companies will use Tucson data to determine prices for Santa Cruz since it is built on the same basis as Tucson.
- Body type. In the United States, Santa Cruz is the first crossover pickup truck. The insurance rates for SUVs are typically cheaper than those for pickups, but the new model is expected to have prices more in line with those for pickups.
- Fuel. Santa Cruz will save you money at the pump compared to other trucks thanks to its projected fuel efficiency of over 30 mpg. However, if you ever need to have your battery serviced or changed, the higher cost of the replacement components may outweigh the savings.
- Theft rates. Because the Hyundai Tucson has a low theft rate, you may assume that the Santa Cruz will also have a low theft rate, resulting in reduced insurance premiums.
- Maintenance. Repairpal estimates that the yearly maintenance costs for a vehicle like the Tucson are $426. Insurance premiums are lower when maintenance expenses are reduced.
- Coverage. Insuring a new automobile may be more expensive since you’ll likely need collision and comprehensive coverage to cover the entire cost of the vehicle.
- Warranty. Hyundai provides a five-year/60,000-mile restricted warranty or a ten-year/100,000-mile unlimited mileage guarantee. It is your choice. To save money, you may wait until the warranty expires before purchasing roadside assistance since both choices include it.
- Manufacturer offer. At the time of this writing, Hyundai has not made any offers for the Santa Cruz; nevertheless, the automaker often provides incentives like 0% APR financing on its newest models.
Does Santa Cruz qualify for discounts?
Yes, you should be qualified for a safe vehicle discount if your Santa Cruz has at least one of the following safety features.
- Anti Lock brakes
- Antitheft device
- Seatbelt pretensioners
- Airbag discount
- Passive restraint discount
How reliable is the Hyundai Santa Cruz?
It will be at least a year before the Santa Cruz receives official dependability and safety ratings, but comparable vehicles, such as the Hyundai Tucson, provide some insight into how well it will perform.
- Safety. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration consistently award Hyundai with top safety ratings (NHTSA). IIHS and NHTSA both granted the 2019 Tucson a 5-star overall safety rating, and the IIHS named it a Top Safety Pick+.
- Reliability. According to J.D. Power, the 2019 Tucson scored 78 out of 100 points overall, with an 85 point dependability rating. However, Hyundai’s Santa Cruz pickup will be the company’s first truck, even though other Hyundai SUVs have received excellent dependability ratings.
- Recalls. Hyundai has previously had to recall Santa Fe vehicles, the most recent of which was in 2017. There’s a chance Santa Cruz may be recalled since it’s the company’s first truck model.
The Hyundai Santa Cruz pickup truck debuts for 2020 and is the first vehicle from the Korean automaker in this segment. Owing to its newness, it will have high insurance rates, which should make it attractive to city residents due to its small size and cheap price point.
Be sure to shop around for the best rates before adding your Santa Cruz to your existing coverage.
For additional car insurance review, check out our review of Honda Ridgeline Car Insurance Rates.