It’s possible that insuring an Explorer ST will cost extra since it’s a larger SUV. The annual Ford Explorer ST car insurance rates is $2,052 compared to the national average of $171 per month. However, insurance for the 2020 Ford Explorer ST may be more expensive due to the increased engine power anticipated in the model. In this case, the yearly insurance cost–to–base vehicle price ratio will be 3.7 percent, close to the national average of 4 percent, with a starting price of $54,740.
- How do I compare insurance for the Ford Explorer ST?
- Does the Ford Explorer ST qualify for discounts?
- How reliable is the Ford Explorer ST?
- Bottom line
How do I compare insurance for the Ford Explorer ST?
The following variables should be taken into consideration when comparing Explorer ST auto insurance rates:
- Body type. As a midsize SUV, the Explorer ST is more of a crossover than a full-size SUV or truck, thus insurance costs may be lower.
- Fuel. With its poor reputation for fuel economy, the Explorer ST’s estimated 20 mpg is right in line with previous models. In other words, the increased insurance costs won’t be offset by lower gas prices.
- Theft statistics. For now, there haven’t been any recorded thefts of the Explorer ST, but the Ford Explorer was the third most stolen SUV on the market in 2014, so expect your insurance to go up..
- Maintenance. Ford has always had cheap maintenance expenses, and the new FordPass Rewards program allows you to earn points for free or reduced dealer maintenance. A higher-end console with an improved engine may result in greater maintenance expenses, which would therefore boost insurance premiums.
- Coverage. Because the Explorer isn’t a high-end model, basic insurance is an option. Nonetheless, collision and comprehensive insurance are strongly advised for new automobiles and vehicles with a history of burglary or theft.
- Warranty. The ST comes with a three-year/36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty, and a five-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty. As a bonus, it includes roadside assistance, so you may forego purchasing additional coverage from your insurer.
Does the Ford Explorer ST qualify for discounts?
Yes. With the ST, you’ll get the following benefits at a discounted rate on your insurance:
- Antitheft device
- Anti Lock brakes
- Hybrid engine
- Anti Whiplash
- Front impact airbags
- Knee airbags
- Overhead airbags
- Side impact airbags
- Stability control
- Post crash alert system
- Latch system for child safety seats
How reliable is the Ford Explorer ST?
Reliability reports for the ST have been varied since its debut. Because of its past performance, the ST is likely to get similarly mediocre evaluations.
- Safety. The IIHS did not award the 2020 ST with a safety rating, and there are no NHTSA safety ratings available at the time of writing. The NHTSA gave the 2019 Ford Explorer a perfect score of 5 stars.
- Reliability. The 2019 Explorer earned a 79 out of 100 score from J.D. Power & Associates Vehicle Dependability Study, however the Explorer ST is a new model and has not yet received a dependability rating.
- Recalls. The NHTSA has issued three recalls for the 2020 Ford Explorer, according to Consumer Reports.
As a result, cars were delivered to Ford lots without having the manual parking release cover fitted. This meant that alarm systems were not activated, and the transmission gear selection was incorrectly displayed.
Because the manual seat back recliner mechanism on Explorers with rear outboard seats was deficient due to a missing component, the seats were no longer safe according to federal standards.
Because of a poorly secured wiring harness, the wire and harness were damaged and there was a greater risk of a fire resulting from contact with the air conditioner compressor. Only Explorers with the 2.3-liter and 3.3-liter engines were affected by this problem. This recall does not apply if you choose the ST’s EcoBoost 3-liter engine.
One of the most powerful SUVs on the market, the Ford Explorer ST is at the top of the heap. However, the combination of a strong engine and high-end interior technology may lead to an increase in your insurance premiums for this vehicle. Make sure to compare insurance providers to discover the best fit for your needs, or look at rates for similar cars to see if you can find a better deal.
Visit our review of Dodge Durango Car Insurance Rates for another car insurance review.