American Family Car Insurance routinely gets good scores for promptly paying claims when compared to its competitors. There are many discounts offered by American Family to make up for the absence of extra coverage add-ons and endorsements. American Family car insurance may be a good choice if you’re searching for a reliable policy that includes collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Pros and Cons of American Family
- About American Family
- American Family Ratings
- American Family car insurance coverage options
- American Family car insurance discounts
- American Family vs. Competitors
- How to cancel an American Family policy
Pros and Cons of American Family
- American Family Insurance offers car insurance reductions.
- Additional insurance policies are available from the firm, and they may be bundled to lower expenses.
- There are several useful features in the American Family insurance app for mobile devices, including claim progress tracking, payment planning, and roadside help.
- There are no extra policy extensions or endorsements for auto plans provided by American Family, therefore customers with more complicated insurance needs should look elsewhere.
- When it came to satisfaction with American Family auto insurance, homeowners gave it a high grade while rentingers gave it a low one.
About American Family
The American Family Insurance Company, or AmFam, was founded in 1927 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company’s first product line consisted only of vehicle insurance. American Family offers a broad variety of insurance coverage, from property and liability to health and life.
American Family has a solid track record of promptly honoring claims when compared to its competitors. Compared to some of its rivals, American Family doesn’t provide as many extra coverage choices or endorsements, but it more than makes up for it in terms of savings. American Family car insurance may be a good choice if you’re searching for a reliable policy that includes collision and comprehensive coverage.
American Family Ratings
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — J.D. Power gives American Family an overall claim satisfaction rating of below ordinary.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Excellent: According to a J.D. Power survey from 2021, American Family has the greatest overall customer satisfaction rating among midsized insurers.
- Financial strength — It’s great news for American Family insurance customers: the NAIC predicts policyholder complaints to be lower in 2101 since customer complaints about American Family insurance products were lower than industry average in 2020.
- NAIC Rating — Overall, the NAIC will receive fewer complaints in 2020 about American Family insurance products than the industry average, which is a good thing.
American Family car insurance coverage options
American Family Insurance in Madison, Wisconsin offers a wide range of automobile insurance options. Comprehensive, collision, property and bodily injury liability, and uninsured and underinsured motorists are examples of standard coverage.
The following are a few extra policy features and advantages available with an American Family auto insurance coverage. This is often offered as an add-on coverage option on the majority of car insurance contracts.
Lease/loan gap coverage
Your insurance provider will compensate you for the actual cash worth of your automobile less depreciation if you have a lease or loan on it and it is totalled in an accident. With American Family’s gap insurance, you won’t have to worry about making additional payments on a vehicle you no longer have access to.
Emergency road service 24/7
Emergency road service keeps its promise and provides you peace of mind if your car has unexpected mechanical or operational problems while on the road. In the event of an emergency, American Family offers 24-hour assistance and will cover the cost of towing.
Rental car reimbursement coverage
While your accident-damaged automobile is being repaired, American Family will pay the cost of a rental car as long as you adhere to the rental car coverage conditions imposed by the company for each day and per incident.
American Family car insurance discounts
Make sure to check into any discounts offered by the insurer and see if you qualify if you’re in need of new vehicle insurance. American Family Car Insurance Company offers a variety of discounts and money-saving initiatives to help lower your monthly insurance payments.
Discounts based on your insurance policy
- Multi-policy. Combining many insurance policies might help you save money on your rates (like auto and house insurance).
- Multi-car. Increasing the number of autos you insure might lead to lower premiums. Because there are fewer premiums to remember, it saves time.
- Early bird. Customers who seek quotations from American Family at least seven days before the commencement of their policy with another insurer may take advantage of special savings opportunities.
- Steer into Savings. Customers who transfer to an American Family policy from another carrier get a discount.
- Loyalty. Loyalty discounts may be available if you’ve had American Family insurance for a long period.
- Billing. Pay your membership in full up front to save money, and then set up autopay and paperless billing for future payments.
Discounts based on safety
- Low number of miles on the clock. You may be eligible for a reduction if you only drive around 7,500 miles a year.
- Autonomous vehicle safety devices. You may be eligible for savings ranging from 10% to 30% if your automobile includes safety equipment like factory-installed airbags, depending on where you live.
- Driver’s education that emphasizes safety. In states where this program is available, seniors who have completed an American Family-approved defensive driving course and reside in a qualifying area may save between 5 and 10 percent on their auto insurance.
- You did a great job on the driving. Drive without incident and safely? The American Family recognizes this and gives a lower premium as a result.
- Program called KnowYourDrive. Some locations provide a 5 percent discount on your first year’s premium to those who enroll in the American Family telematics program. Once installed, the app monitors your driving patterns and gives you feedback to help you become a more defensive driver. Depending on your driving record, you might save up to 20% or more on your auto insurance.
Discounts for young drivers
- Outstanding performer on the academic front. Because of this, American Family provides a student discount to deserving individuals.
- School is keeping me away from home. American Family Insurance gives their clients discounts for being students.
- Volunteer work. Those under the age of 25 who volunteer 40 hours per year of their spare time to a non-profit organization get their auto insurance prices reduced.
- Generational. There may be a discount for you if one of your parents is already a client of American Family.
- Teen Safe Driver program. If you have a young driver on your insurance, enrolling in this telemetry program may qualify you for a discount. If your adolescent drives, it’s probable that his or her car is equipped with technology that monitors for risky driving behaviors including erratic steering, rapid accelerations, and harsh braking. It captures everything that takes on inside and outside of the vehicle after it’s activated, then transmits the video to a center where it’s assessed by certified driving instructors. Parents have the ability to keep an eye on and evaluate their children.
American Family vs. Competitors
Average Monthly Rates
- American Family. $117
- AAA. $161
- Allstate. $170
- GEICO. $94
- Progressive. $104
- Farmers. $131
- Nationwide. $90
- State Farm. $108
How to cancel an American Family policy
Call your American Family insurance agent to make cancellation arrangements. If you don’t have the agent’s contact information on hand, try using the AmFam agent locator on the web or your MyAmFam mobile app. After your coverage expires, your agent will make sure you and the insurer have received all required papers. Customers may cancel their insurance by speaking with their agent or initiating the cancellation process on their behalf by calling 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326), which offers customer support.
Can I cancel my American Family policy online?
Even if you identify an agent via a search engine, you’ll still need to talk with a representative to end your coverage.
You may check out our assessment of Allstate Car Insurance Review.